How Can You Know If Your Loved One Is Being Neglected in the Nursing Home?

The National Council on Aging has reported nursing home neglect and abuse are on the rise. It is imperative loved ones are proactive and keep a constant check on their aged loved ones to ensure they are being cared for. Frequent unannounced visits can allow a person to know whether or not their loved one is receiving the care they need. With this information, individuals can know the warning signs they should look for to determine whether or not their loved one is being neglected.

The signs of nursing home neglect include:

  • Unexplained bruises, pressure marks, and other signs of injury
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Frequent dehydration
  • Lethargy
  • Bed sores
  • Urine burns
  • Foul body odors
  • Poor oral hygiene
  • Malnutrition
  • Episodes of wandering away

There are many types of abuse and neglect that can occur in nursing homes. Often, seniors are left in nursing homes and rarely checked on by their loved ones. Because some of them are losing their cognitive and speech abilities, they become easy targets for unscrupulous medical staff and caregivers. This is why it is imperative a senior’s loved ones stay an active part of their care. If any form of neglect or abuse is discovered, it is imperative a person contacts the appropriate authorities, which may include the police.

Working with a nursing home neglect attorney can allow a victim the legal help they need so they can pursue the nursing home and any parties that were privy to the neglect. An attorney can help a client determine the grounds for nursing home neglect which may include negligence in hiring, understaffing, inadequate training, and third-party pursuits.

It is imperative a person is represented by an attorney before they attempt to pursue the nursing home. It takes substantial evidence to be able to pursue neglect charges and an attorney can help in this process.

If your loved one has suffered neglect in a nursing home, it is imperative you act quickly. Contact Teague and Glover PA and allow them to schedule you a consultation appointment so you can learn more about your rights and what will need to be done to pursue your claim.